Feral Kitties – Update

I haven’t seen the original mama cat since the day we released her. ¬†ūüôĀ ¬† My co-worker saw her a couple of weeks ago, but hasn’t seen her again. ¬†Obviously¬†I don’t have time to look out the window all the time (and I don’t have the trail cam set up), but I really hope she’s doing well…. ¬†From what I’ve heard from the foster mom, her kittens are thriving, so that’s a blessing; you do what you can….

I *have* seen the other mom–the orange and white girl who was also spayed in December. ¬†She’s become a regular at the feeding station, and I see her every day. She definitely likes this routine!

  

  

I also saw the long-haired black cat on Monday (Jan. 9), and today (Jan. 10) I saw one of the white & calico kitties.

  

I haven’t seen either of the kittens (presumably the orange and white female’s babies) for a couple of days now. ¬†Worrisome, given¬†the bitterly cold weather and snow that we’ve had recently….

I’m sure these cats know a lot of places to go to get warm and to stay dry on this large campus. ¬†Many of the buildings are heated with steam, so there are probably areas along the pipes that they can access. ¬†But since I don’t know where they’re going, ¬†I decided to put together two more feral shelters, at least for my piece of mind.

Simple shelters can be constructed from a plastic storage tub with a Styrofoam cooler inside, but it seems that¬†large coolers are seasonal items! ¬†I’ve found a few in local stores, but what they’ve got on the shelves now are small–far more appropriate for a 6-pack of beer than an adult cat or two!

Given that I had some leftover Reflectix insulation–as well as some Styrofoam sheet insulation–from various projects associated with our travel trailer renovations, I decided to use those materials in lieu of the elusive coolers. ¬†Using hot glue and duct tape, it was fairly easy to insulate the storage containers. ¬†The hardest part was cutting the hole through the plastic, so I finally used an electric drill to make small holes¬†around the circle, and then used an old serrated steak knife to cut it out. (Kind of like a connect-the-dots game that involved a lot¬†more elbow grease than the paper and pencil version….)

 

After both were finished, I moved these and the first one¬†to the back (east side) of the tractor shed. ¬†(I’d originally put the first shelter on the south side of the tractor shed.) ¬†It’s not an ideal location since I can’t see them from my classroom to know if the cats are using them, but¬†since they’re a little more secluded, that might make them more attractive to feral cats.

In the meantime, Wayne picked up four¬†Voices for Animals traps today (thanks for coordinating this, Betsy!), and I hope to start trapping again on Thursday. ¬†In a perfect world, I’d set out a total of 5 traps (the four from VFA, plus the one that the school owns), and in a matter of minutes I’d find the long-haired black kitty, both of the white and calico cats,¬†and the two kittens in the traps.

I’m betting, however, that the orange and white kitty (the TNR veteran and daily visitor) will¬†be the first one in… ¬†We’ll see!

This entry was posted in Animals & Wildlife, Feral Cats. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.