Before taking the trailer to the shop on December 26, 2014, we really, REALLY duct-taped the temporary towing lights and wiring connections for the trip over the mountain! To our surprise, everything was still connected when we stopped to check in Waynesboro, Virginia.
Once we got to the shop, we had to make some decisions about what we wanted done–and how. Of course all the exterior lights needed to be wired up, and a 7-pin wiring harness would need to be put on in order to make the brakes on the trailer functional. (We knew it had brakes, however we had no way of knowing if they worked.) It needed new tires–and a new vent–and the marker light that had fallen off on the way home had to be replaced. Those were all givens. We also knew we wanted to have interior lights that would work on battery or electric, so that meant we’d need to purchase a deep cycle marine battery and a battery converter.
While this was going on, we had a brake controller installed on the 4Runner, and then the next phase of trailer work involved finding a way to mount lights and outlets in a fiberglass trailer; it’s not like you can just screw a light to the wall! This was when we had to make some serious, “permanent” decisions about how we wanted to design the interior. We looked at pictures on the internet, talked with friends and joined RV forums to try to make the best decisions.
DID we make the best decisions? I hope so, but I guess time will tell!
We decided where we wanted the lights and outlets and then had rudimentary cabinets built to accommodate them. The curved wooden shapes that the previous owner had used to support the roof became the front and back walls of a future “kitchen” on the driver’s side of the trailer. The battery converter was put the bottom of the cabinet, with the electrical cord stored in the same space.
A smaller cabinet was attached to the closet on the passenger side, using another curved piece of wood. It’s possible that we’ll put a sink on this side instead of in the “kitchen” area–we haven’t fully decided where anything will go yet!
While we may opt to put in propane for a stove and furnace–as well as a sink, holding tanks, etc.–these items will all have to wait. The shop-done renovations added up to more than we originally counted on (though we were very pleased with the work), and we really, really hope to use the trailer as soon as possible.
And so on February 22, 2015–with snow on the ground and ice in the driveway–we brought it home. 🙂