Our first project of the weekend involved putting in the flooring. On Saturday morning I primed the floor with a product called Henry Bond Enhancer for self-stick tile. I bought a quart of it at Home Depot and had PLENTY left. It dried much more quickly than I expected, and it left the floor surprisingly shiny.
Saturday evening we got a little more than half of the 6″ x 48″ vinyl plank-style tiles in place, and we finished up on Sunday morning. The reddish tones of the cherry flooring really work well with the deeper chestnut color of the cabinets. Although the picture doesn’t really show how “rich” the color is, we’re VERY pleased with how it turned out! (By the way, the drooping edge of carpet under the bed platform will be supported by the extension Wayne will build to make the bed 54″ wide; a full double.)
After the flooring was in, Wayne put in a piece of rubber door seal under the threshold. There had been a gap there, and the seal helped to close it up much better.
We have some scrap pieces of Masonite that will be used to finish the area under the bathroom “closet” (straight ahead in the picture above). Once that’s up, it will be painted black to match the baseboard–the metal frame that’s visible in the rest of the trailer. We also talked about how to finish the bathroom (which in reality will just house a porta-potty). The original plan was to use a curtain on a tension rod, but now that everything else is looking so good, I’m wondering about the feasibility of putting in a real door. That might come later….
After getting this far (and since the day was heating up and getting VERY humid) we made a trip to Lowes to buy some paint for the baseboard, as well as another small piece of indoor/outdoor carpet like we have under the bed. The carpet will go on the raised future dinette area in the front, and another piece will go in the small open storage space under the dinette. While we were there, we went on and bought a threshold to bridge the vinyl and carpet on the floor, and a trim piece to come over the edge of the dinette area.
As soon as we got home (when it was only marginally cooler–but even MORE humid–and when the air was filled with hundreds of bloodthirsty mosquitoes), we started in on another challenging project: putting up the curtain rods. The trailer apparently had curtain rods–and curtains–at some point, because there were patched, filled-in holes around each of the windows. Wayne used a very thin, awl-like screwdriver from outside of the trailer to push through the holes, through the caulk (or whatever), and then through the insulation and the marine hull liner fabric. It was a slow process, but ultimately we were able to get all of the curtain rods mounted.
Next, I hung up all of the curtains that I MADE (!!) last week. I hadn’t hemmed them and needed to see them in place before deciding how much to take them up. The 2- or 3-inch hem that I anticipated will just be 1″. But too cool; so glad I’m finally learning how to sew. 🙂
So all in all, it was a really productive weekend, with big, bold positive changes! We’ve still got a lot to do, but being “finished enough” to use the camper before the end of the summer is certainly getting closer to being a reality!