We still need to put up the fabric strip seam covers to give the interior a finished look, but we’re so pleased to be ALMOST finished installing the marine hull liner on the walls. What a nice difference! I love the bright silver/gray fabric, and it looks really nice with the dark cabinets.
Front driver’s side.
Driver’s side upper cabinet. (We’re still thinking of some sort of back splash in the lower section.)
Curb side upper cabinet and closet. (Back splash will probably go in the lower section on this side, too.)
Ceiling and front wall, looking towards the door.
In preparation for putting down the flooring as soon as we can, last night I went out to the trailer to try to remove some very old (years old…) tape that had been stuck on the floor for some unknown purpose. For the first time we decided to connect the power cord to “shore power” (i.e. our house), and when we started to take out the 25 ft cord, we only got about 10 ft before it stopped. We weren’t sure if the rv guy who did the electrical work put in a shorter cord or if it was tangled. We still don’t know for sure because we have no access to the area under the driver’s side cabinet where the cord is stored, and the rv guy is out of the country until July 20th. Bummer. For now we can connect the trailer’s power cord to a heavy gauge extension cord, but ultimately we’ll need to cut a hole in the cabinet and put in a door. (Add that project to the list…)
At any rate, it was the first time I’d been in the trailer at night with the lights on and I LOVED it! I could really “see” how much we’ll enjoy using this before too long. So cool! This was my view from the floor:
I mentioned “skill building” because I’m in the process of making curtains. This statement is almost laughable. Okay, it IS laughable. I don’t sew (with a sewing machine), I don’t iron, I didn’t even own an iron until a few days ago, but I’m absolutely determined to learn how to sew this summer AND to make curtains for the Scamp. Could I find someone to make them for me? Yes, probably–but what fun would that be? 😉
Last spring (with trailer curtains in mind), I bought a “vintage” used Singer sewing machine from a woman who listed it on Craigslist. After buying it, I took it to my classroom at school. In addition to wanting to acquire sewing skills for myself, I want to be proficient enough by the end of the summer to be able to offer some machine-sewing art or craft projects for my students.
Yesterday morning I went over to school for Sewing 101. One of my co-workers graciously helped me get the machine set up with the right color of thread, and with her (patient) assistance, I was ultimately able to sew some relatively straight seams on scraps of fabric. Yay! I wanted to practice some more, and shortly after she left things started getting really messed up. Like REALLY messed up. After untangling the needle thread and bobbin thread several times (with no clue as to why anything was happening), I came home to regroup….
I decided to print out the entire online manual and suddenly things started to make a bit of sense: “OH–okay, I need to tighten this!” “Oh, this should be on THIS setting…” Armed with more knowledge and heavy laden with my newly-purchased sewing accessories (pins, pin cushion, seam ripper, seam gauge, iron, ironing board, decorative fabric, liner fabric, etc.) I went back this morning–and my co-worker came over for a while to help again. This time after she left, things continued to go alright. And even when they didn’t, I understood why the thread broke or the bobbin tangled. Knowledge is a good thing.
I would like to say that I whipped up all of the curtains for the trailer this afternoon. Truth told, I barely got beyond cutting out the two “decorative fabric” panels for the rear window, ironing them, and stitching a narrow seam on the raw sides of each one. I am certainly building skills, but it’s a painfully slow process! Tomorrow I’ll probably try to cut the fabric that I’ll use as a liner, and see if I can get one set of curtains finished before midnight! 🙂
(BTW, I’m saving all of the “scrap” pieces of the decorative fabric–it would make a pretty quilt for the trailer!)