Archives

All posts for the month June, 2015

We had the opportunity to do a bit more work on the trailer this morning, and our first project was cutting a piece of blue-gray indoor/outdoor carpet to go under the bed in the back.  We’ll use the space under the bed for storage and wanted to have a smooth surface for plastic bins and boxes which will slide in from the front.  We need to reinforce the bed frame–as well as divide it (front to back)–so that things that we put in through the outside access door will stay on the passenger side where we can reach them.  With the carpet down and the fabric up on the walls in the back, Wayne will be able to work on the bed extension (connecting it to the cabinets) so that it will be a full double in width (54″).

Carpet-Under-Bed-062915

Since we had a little more time available, we put up some more of the fabric.  Again, this is not an easy job, but we’re pleased with what we’ve installed so far:

Fabric-062915-1-Wayne

Fabric-062915-2-Wayne

Fabric-062915-3

Fabric-062915-4-Wayne

The good news is that I think we’ll have enough of the marine hull liner fabric that I ordered.  I had some concerns after hearing of someone who ordered far more of Scamp’s “rat fur” for her 13 ft. trailer than I did for our 16 ft trailer–and barely had enough!

After Wayne left for work, I went back out to the trailer and finished putting a 2nd coat of stain on areas that needed it.  Glad to have that done for now–we’ll need to stain again once we put doors on the cabinets–but with this much accomplished, we’ve been thinking again about flooring, fabric for curtains, backsplash material, etc…..

The summer already seems to be slipping by too quickly, but we HAVE had a lot of things going on recently, including a first-time, incredibly amazing trip to Colorado to visit my youngest son.  Time well spent!  We checked out some camp grounds while we were there, so maybe someday we’ll do a big road trip and stay at Dowdy Lake Campground and Cherry Creek State Park Campground.

012-Sharon-Brandon-Wayne-RedRocks-Cropped

For now, however, we really need to get some things DONE, if we hope to use the trailer this summer!  Today’s project involved putting up more of the fabric (marine hull liner fabric instead of Scamp’s “rat fur.”)  This really isn’t particularly easy to do…

We started on the rear passenger side (door side or curb side, whatever you choose to call it).  I decided to do it in two sections: above and below the window.

Fabric-062815-01

The top piece was more challenging than the bottom due to the curve at the top.  The bottom side wound up being challenging, too, given the bed frame that fits so tightly into the space, and the need to cut around the access door.

Once we had that side done, Wayne suggested trying to use one BIG piece for the other side, instead of doing a top and bottom piece like we did on the other side.  I had my doubts, but at least we’ve learned that we can pull it off, re-spray with adhesive and re-attach if necessary….

Fabric-062815-02

So yeah, the curves were a challenge–as was the weight of a piece of fabric that big–so we took turns, giving both of us the opportunity to cut, spray, pull and cuss. 🙂

Fabric-062815-03-Wayne

Fabric-062815-04-Sharon

Fabric-062815-05-Sharon

So now at least we have the back part of the trailer done, and I think it will look pretty good once we put a strip of fabric over the major seams. 🙂

Fabric-062815-06